Greek Military Photos
    Greek Army Gateway

Greek Military Photos




I will begin posting these memoirs one page at a time.
 Its about 14 pages or so long maybe more. I'll start with one today.

Based on

1. Narration:Peloponese ELDYK representative

2. The Battle of Cyprus-G.P. Sergis (Brig ret.)

3. Waiting for Attila-Har. Haralampopoulos (vice general ret.)

4.For Cyprus-M.O.D

5. ELDYK album 74 Kirinia Reserve Officers Assoc.

An Eldyk Soldier narrates:

They were preparing us a long time earlier. We started as a unit of special training in unorthodox warfare with live ammo in Macedonia. I was operator of a machine gun. In early July with a transport ship we came to Cyprus. On 7 July Makarios decides with law to dismiss 2 series of GCNG soldiers, cutting the personnel from 11,000 to 4,500 and giving the pretext for his overthrow on the 15th. The "movement" happened (coup). During the day we were guarding government buildings, The night , plundering.....nasty things.

From 15th July and later, there were intense rumours about turkish intervention. Those who were supporting the "movement" were assuring us that no such thing would occur. It wasn't bothering us, cause we had "took" the morale of TURDYK (winning the psychological aspect of the war) , that was avoiding us even in the night patrols until they closed themselves in their camp , a few kilometers away from ours and they didn't go out again at night.

The rumors were getting stronger. The Cypriots of the GCNG and the locals weren't speaking nicely to us. Damn, we were just executing orders.

18-19 July 1974

We had orders not to sneak out of the camp during the night. On 18 and 19 July we were enclosed inside ELDYK ( The Greek contingent of 450 men on Cyprus) camp. 4 companies. I was in the Papahatzopoulos company.

19 July 1974

The anxiety grows. There were rumors about stolen radio transmissions where TURDYK was talking all the time with Mersina that was preparing a fleet for invasion. They said that the "Johnnies" (brits) also said it on their t.v. announcements. Also that TURDYK has gone out in battle disposition and alert and that they were working in Agirta for making an airfield. The fires were still burning on the Pentadaktylos. They were saying that also those weren't extinguished on purpose. Nobody was telling us anything except "just contain yourselves".




Saturday 20 July 1974 Attila-1

00:15 HOURS

The 6 vessels pas by the cape of st. Andreas in distance greater than 12 NM and continue towards Amohostos. Th 2nd convoy of ships is at 30 miles north of the Cape and navigating towarads Kormakitis cape.

01:30 HOURS

The convoy of 6 ships continues to sail towards Amohostos Gulf at 8 knots. The other ships on the north have proven to be 11 and are at 35 miles northeast of Kyrenia. They are reported continously to the GCNG General Command and that in this turn repots it to the Athens General Staff, always getting the reply " they are just military drills!"

02:00 HOURS

The 6 ships heading towards Amohostos invert route and now sail towards the northeast away from Cyprus. There is now no doubt that this was a diversion to attract defense forces to move towards Amohostos. The convoy of 11 ships keeps sailing towards Kormakitis, but because of its speed and the fact that till dawn should have arrived, indicated that the objective was Kyrenia and not the Gulf of Morphou. At the same time, the turkish station "Bayrak" started transmitting martial music.


The group of 11 ships stays at a distance of 10-12 miles off the north coast of Cyprus. The ELDYK commander orders with his own initiative, the application of the battle deployment plans. The GCNG does the same, even at such a late time......the General Staff of the GCNG orders the activation of the defence plan at 07:00 hours of the morning of 20 July 1974, while at 08:40 the vice commander of the Armed Forces gave his consensus!

If the commander of the units hadn't taken the initiative, they would have been crushed by the turkish airforce. But still, the unacceptable delay of the activation of the defence plan was "strategical surprise" with considerable losses mainlyl in military equipment (mostly arty and vehicles). But if the defense forces would have moved in time, the turkish attempt of landing would have been for the turks, a disaster as the turks themselves have already admitted (Ali Birant-"Decision Invasion")

With the first light of dawn at 04:45 the first napalm bombs started to land on the coastal areas of Pentadaktilos, in order to neutralise Greek positions there so taht the landing ships that were "holding" in the sea could come ashore. Pentadaktilos was burning alot. Soon, the bombardments were extended to the road St. Ilarionas-Kyrenia, so that we............(continued tomorrow ;P )




.........couldn't move against the landed troops in camp areas that onviously had been studied long before. They started bombing the ELDYK camp that we had abandoned a little earlier. Transport planes and helicopters were dropping paras to the area of Kioneli-Mandra. We didn't have orders of attack. The Turks were going undisturbed at Karavas and dropping at Kioneli and we didn't have orders for attack because we were waiting for the GCNG General Staff!......our rage can't be described.

About 09:30 we heard the first shots of the engagement, that soon got louder. The 251 TP (Infantry Battalion) was hitting the beach head of the Mehmetcik that had been sitting on the shore, undisturbed as if it was a summer walk. We stood up enthusiasticly and we could hardly keep our positions. Later we learned that 251 TP and groups from Pentadaktilos had literally "harvested" large numbers of turkish troops just landed. Troops who were advancing slowly in dense formations with the left hand on the face to hide the eyes and getting killed in mass with officers behind them bitching at them. The wounded were returning back to the sea shore crying "Aman Aman" and were abandoned there wihtout doctors or medical transporters. Without war experience and at this point of the invasion, with little armour and artillery support and insufficient support from their airforce because the enagement was very close at less than 100 meters. Our proximity to them forced their airforce to hold off their napalming for fear of destroying their own troops. But they were still coming continuously and coming to their slaughter, although we didn't hit them with 1/20th of our force that was surprised and uncoordinated. And despite all this, the Turks were surprised, despite the fact that they had time to prepare. If the 251 TP ALONE would have had artillery support, we would have cleaned the enclave in an hour. But the battle was going on with rifles and a few mortars and so the Turks, despite their huge casualties, kept their positions. Operationally, the 251 TP of 90 men could not be expected to charge a force of 2000+ Turks. And we were still stuck waiting for battle plan orders from the GCNG General Staff!. At the same time , the paras dropped in Mia Milia village were decimated from the locals that got out in the fields waiting for them and taking their rifles. But their brigade dropped undisturbed to Kioneli-St. Iliaronas linked up with their contacts at the Turkish Cypriot enclave.

At 10:00 there was an attempt to advance towards Kioneli, that had fortifications, machine gun bunkers and was probably the strongest Turkish Cypriot enclave on the whole island. During our advancing with the support of 6 armored vehicles, passing to the side of TURDYK camp, against which the armored vehicles fired, but this camp has been abandoned 2 days ago. We stopped at the small river about 1000 meters from Kioneli, because beyond that point the armored vehicles had no radio contact with the Command that was in the Battle Observation Post. The area in front of us had no cover, full of grass in flames and at 800 meters in front of us , paras were dropping with no interruption, reinforcing the enclave continously. Our advance required strong artillery support (that we didn't have) , otherwise in the open and in a burning field in front of the machine guns, it would have been suicide. We took order to regroup without casualties, since our action was rather recon and went back and returned in the afternoon.

At 18:20 we took order of attack of Kioneli Northwest, with the objective to clean the enclave and gain contact with the units that were pressuring the Turkish beach head at Pendemili of Kyrenia. We were supposed to have lateral support from the GCNG and advance again with a few tanks, waiting for reinforcement from the tank unit. We advance in the valley quickly. At 1000 meters at 19:30 we come under heavy fire from the Turkish positions that...........



............had been reinforce by the paras. We arrive to the anti-tank moat. The tanks could no longer advance, we had no support fire of any kind and so we passed the moat and crawling, fire and motion we were closing the turkish positions that started the cross fire. In a while we were pinned down by their machine guns. It's getting dark. The 2 units of the GCNG hadn't attacked yet....the 301TP and the 11 TE (Lissaridis Company). The tank unit hasn't been called to attack the bunkers with machine gun fire either. SGT. Kogas approaching very close to a bunker takes a salvo fire and gets killed. Same for 6 others. The darkness, the smoke of the burning grass and the dust cut off our field of view and due to our formation we were risking to take friendly fire. Also if we stayed in there, in the morning their airforce would find us. We took order to retreat at 03:00 and with order we withdrew transporting the dead adn wounded with us. To the left part of the formation the vice LT. Sotirios Tsonos was heavily wounded while covering the withdrawal and he died some days later.

Along the Nicosia line to a length of 5km there were light clashes between the 211 TP and remnants of the Turk Cypriots, since the main force of them had gone to reinforce Kioneli (of major strategic importance for the stablization of the invasion). The 211 lost the occassion of advance considerably not estimating correctly the force of the enemy in the Nicosia line. The sporadic fire of the turk cypriots and the throwing of grenades without taking off the safety pin, showed forces with no experience.

Opposite us, the units of the Raiders at 23:00 took by surprise 2 hills at Kotzakagia of Pella Paisi opposite to the crest of St. Ilariona, "cleaning" drastically many enclaves on Pentadaktilos.

As we learned later, in the afternoon of the same day, the transport ship Lesvos that had received the 450 ELDYK soldiers that had finished their duty and was navigating towards Pireaus Greece, returns to Pafos attacking with it's gun the turkish enclave and unloading with small boats, the reservists, giving the impression of and amphibious operation ( in reality Lesvos had no more than 30 shells for the cannon and the reservists had nore more than 30 rifles that were in the ships armory because their weapons had been left to the ELDYK Nicosia camp for the newcomers). The Turk Cypriot enclave asks for air support that does not arrive in time and in a short time surrenders ( to what amounts to relatively UNARMED ATTACKERS!). Lesvos sails towards the south and the turkish airforce that at 14:00 of the next day arrives seeking the "Greek Fleet" , encounters a turkish convoy that had rushed to the area to investigate the information and engaged each other in battle with the result of the skinking of the turkish destroyer Kocatepe and the downing of 3 aircraft from the other 2 damaged destroyers, Adatepe and Cakmak.

21 July 1974

Around 04:00 we returned to our deployment positions around ELDYK camp. Damn, why didn't we take Kioneli?. We succeeded in the objective of occupying the area in front of the bunkers. Why didn't the GCNG attack from the flanks to occupy?, did they want us to take them frontally in crossfire so we could all be killed?......"take here, to put something in your stomach", the one next to me says.



......FU*CKERS, anti-unionists, why don't they fight?, I bitch and kick the ground. "Don't talk like that , everyone will fight, everyone" ( the one next to me says). We should have thrown them into the sea by now, damn it and tomorrow they will bring more and with tanks. We should have been to the coast by now. "Tomorrow mate, tomorrow ours will come from Greece too, don't worry...."

The morning found us deployed in the battle positions of the camp in big range. With the first light they started the bombardment again with their navy and airforce. They were not so good at targeting. They were hitting targets all over the island with no distinction between Greek and Turk positions or targets, all were getting hit. We also observed an abandoned transport vehicle which the turkish airforce had made 10 repeated dives over without hitting it. In the afternoon , finally a plane dove and hit it on the first attempt. Rumors that the brit pilots joined in the operation were heard on radio transmissions, once in turkish and once in english. Helicopters were bringing reinforcments to the recently prepared airfield in Agirda. All the while , paras were dropping in the line Kioneli-Nicosia. We stayed in our positions because the turkish cypriot enclave in Nicosia had not been neutralized, and reinforced it would have been dangerous for ELDYK camp and the Nicosia airfield they say!!\
( my comment, he is obviously being sarcastic about the GCNG general staff)

But instead of ordering the remaining battalions in a coordinated attack against Pentemili beachead and repulse towards the sea, they were sent uncoordinated and with no results from the 2 companies. While the bulk of the forces were occupied witht the conquest of the turkish enclaves all over the island. Of course they were all conquered except the ones at Nicosia and Iliaronas, but the strategic objectives should have been the beach head at Pentemili with a coordinated attack. If we had destroyed it, the enclaves would have surrendered without firing a shot and the turks wouldn't have been able to land new reinforcements, because we would have manned all the anti-aircraft guns and machine gun bunkers in Pentadaktilos and put mine fields. So, we stayed, expecting their big wave of air raid in the afternoon.

Our airforce, where is it?, Is or isn't Greece at war with Turkey?

Political backscene:
Since the day before, with resolution of the UNSC the cease fire is requested. Ioannides ( read: traitor) furious, refuses, because he is deceived from the Americans and studies an eventuality of Greek-Turkish war under the shadow of a rumor that jumped out from the "allies" about movements of Bulgarian troops towards the border and a threat from the north!!. Turkey also does not accept the ceasefire, she buys time to send reinforcements and heavy tanks to the beachead at Pentemili, that at this time is still in danger of being thrown back into the sea despite our difficulties and lack of heavy weapons. At noon they sail. This way the Greek side would have a better negotiating position and would avoid a Greek Turkish war that was judged "vague", because of the quality advantage of Greece in Navy and Airforce. The transport ship Rethymno with some light tanks and 500 Cypriot volunteers sails in the afternoon from Greece towards Cyprus. 2 Submarines near Cyprus ( newly gotten 209/1100) are ordered to ambush the turkish...



......convoy and are continously ordered to invert route until they arrive off of Rhodes. Ioannides gives order for war engagement but Bonanos and the Cheif of the Navy don't execute the orders ( about this many things are written and the Navy cheif was in contact with the Americans, enough said).Indecisiveness or involvment in the decision from pro-american para command (means distorted order of commande due to american controled commanders). It is examined the transport to Cyprus of the B Raiders unit with Noratlas. Squadron of F-4 is ordered to station on Crete.....waiting. In Evros the army can't be deployed in full eastern front because of the roumor of the Bulgarian threat. Libya, Pakistan and Iran take the side of Turkey, ready even to send troops!, alone against everyone once more.

17:00 Hours (21 July)

-Enemy aircraft from the north-
-Take positions!-

Damn, there are many of them! They start to drop bombs everywhere around us......hell.....we can hardly see anything...In the middle of the bombinb wer raise the submachine guns and we hit anything we can see between the clouds of fire and smoke. "It's shot down!" ( someone next to me says) ...the 12th since yesterday....we stand up. "Take cover"!, the Leutenant shouts. We fall down. His voice is lost between the sound of a new salvo of bombs....hell....all black (napalm) fire.....screams......swearings..hit the fu.ckers...centre!....request of fire.....centree!
To hell......stood up on our feet, so taht we can see them better....and whatever happens! The Bar burns in my hands and the black stones from the napalm hit your face, everywhere, but you don't care at this point, you just want to hit another one, another one...a pain in the leg.....I fall into the trench. Over me ground pieces from a rocket. My Bar, where is it?.........there ....fu.ckers come again.....Phantom and napalm for you, Browning and Bar for matter we will eat them with these doesn't finish until dark. The turks here won't fight at nigh.....they say they are afraid to get killed at night....somethng written in the koran....

23:00 hours

15 Noratlass take off from Suda finally transporting the B Raiders unit at only 500 ft MAX altitude!, with radio silence and lights switched off (blind flight). 2 lose orientation and land at Rhodes ( later it was known that atleast one didn't "lose orientation"...inside was the commander-junta appointed that deliberately went to Rhodes, maybe trying to make the others follow....another hint of U.S. controlled officers).

Midnight. We don't expect help from Greece as obviously our leaders have sold out to the americans. We are furious from the air raid this afternoon. Suddenly there is the noise of low flying aircraft over the airport. We start.........



.....firing at them. The 3rd in the order gets shot down from AA arty before the runway and crashes, while the rest are taking light fire. "cease fire, cease fire", they are ours!"...we hear inside the nightand all guns stop. The one near the other, unloads troops and leaves. "Greek Raiders" they shout-and we we feel our knees cut off-what can we say?-......there is nothing we can say....from joy, because we were believing nobody would come and from sorrow cause we hit them a bit earlier. There is confusion........some run off to the side of the runway to the one shot down.

22 JULY 09:00 hours

The Turkish fleet that had sailed yesterday arrives east of Pentemili and unloads the 39th Division and M-48 tanks, undisturbed, since the beach head in Pentemili and the crest of Ilarionas were still in their hands.

11:00 hours

They have deployed in battle positions and they start attack with triple front to widen the beach head towards Kyrenia, south to Kioneli and to the east. Anti-tank support with tanks, artillery or Saggers didn't exist in this side of Kyrenia and neither anti tank moats or mine fields. Kyrenia was defenseless against tanks and the worst part is that her population had not been evacuated yet by teh GCNG as if they were not expecting an attack!. The Raiders company of Rokas, the companies, Katunda, Kurupis, Katsanis, Tsakas, were uncoordinated between them and with attrition, because of the Raiders company trying to lead the 241 TP of the GCNG in critical hours inside the city. Despite super human efforts, in some hours Kyrenia was lost. Some of the civilians ran to the Dome Hotel under the protection of the UNFICYP. In taht hotel also went brits that were finally evacuated with the British navy, even the brits were not feeling safe. The small number of 75 GCNG soldiers that remains ultimate defenders in the castle of the city, escaped from a secret passage and canyon outside the city.

16:00 hours

The agreed ceasefire was set for 16:00 but was revealed to be valid only for us. The turks, those with the 39th division and the M-48 tanks have achived expansion of the enclaves to the other 2 fronts too and so have enhanced somewhat the original beach head, violated the cease fire and advanced their positions without fighting in the 3 fronts (St. Ilariona, Aspri Mouti, Trimithi) while we honored the cease fire even if we had trapped units in front of Pentadaktilos and so were caught prisoners.....cowardly. That's the honor and heroism of the armed to the teeth they had they beach head of their objective of the first day of the invasion........walking!...the results of TALKS in Geneva!.



One hour after the ceasfire at the north sector of Nicosia they tried to advance covered behind...............SHEEPS!. They were seen by the GCNG, they were let to come near and then harvested together with the sheep.

18:00 hours

And while the ceasefire is 2 hours old, about 500 turks with mortars are approaching, crawling to our camp (ELDYK) at 500 meters to the east and about the same number to the west, hoping to take us by surprise. They were spotted and they were approaching always more till the point of charging distance, under the help of the darkness that was coming and the moonless night. The Guard of the 4th company was heard saying "stop who are you!" as he heard sounds around him and fired as warning shots in the air. There were very close and thinking that we would not engage them. The GCNG command insisted on respecting the ceasefire with the turks next to us!! But the commander of the 2 TP with his initiative ordered initially warning shots and later an order for fire, until they retreated. In the morning we saw in the barb wires many turks loaded with mortars and submachine guns. The cease fire wasn't valid for cowards and thy were trying to get advantage of it as best they could.

At the same day in Greece:

Refers the well known story with Dinopoulos shotting down a turkish plane in the Aegean while his wingman confused finsihed his fuel and crash landed on a motorway on the turkish coast.

The same day , the transport ship Rethymno that had sailed from Greece with 500 Cypriot volunteers and light tanks and now 200nm south of Rhodes takes orders to go to Rhodes, that is supposed to be under the threat of invasion!!.....once arrived to the city, with surprise they saw taht the city wazs living at her normal rythms. (My comment: the corruption and traiterous acts by the commanders was astounding and shameful)

23 JULY 1974

That is the next day of the cease fire. The turks slowly and reluctantly advanced to the position of 11 SP, between ELDYK and the airport, to which they tried to reach but were attacked by the B raiders unit that had landed the night before, who also took responsibility to protect the airport.The turks regrouped to occupy the Nicosia-Morpou road, east to the Nicosia enclave they occupied the village of Kato Dikomo.

We are passing the 2nd day of ceasefire and the turkes, seeing that we honor it, are advancing continously. In this way they manage to trap units that had order to keep position and once they are sure of their weapons superiority, they exterminate them. This is how the 181 MPP was trapped and destroyed ( field artillery unit)




Back to the political scene in Greece:

Dead end. Sampson in Cyprus resigns. and Klerides takes over, who immediately met Denktash, only to return dissapointed. In Greece, the cheifs of the 3 "weapons" generals Bonanos, Galatsanos and Arapakis ask from Gizikis to call the politicians to take over the government of the nation. With interference of Averoff to Giziki, Karamanlis from France is called. The UNSC issues resolution #354 where it askes AGAIN for a cease fire to stop the violence.

24 July 1974

The turks , taking advantage of the destruction of 181 MPP advanced positions and occupied the castle of Bufaventos on Pentadaktilos, raising provocatively a big flag. Patrol of 16 volunteers of GCNG that was watching the movements of the enemy in the front line, gets attacked by turkish commandos that approached them from the back with 3 buses on which they put white flags in order to outflank the patrol. As hapened, with casualties from both sides. Turkish commandos were infiltrating to the interior of the GCNG for sabotage and strategic targets.

By now, the turkis weapons superiority and the dishonor or taking advantage of the cease fire ( which they never adhered to) was huge. Opposed by an undoordinated GCNG that seemed incapable to respond. The Greek officers of the GCNG units , apart insubordination wree also facing openly the hostility of the Greek Cypriot National Guardsmen (due to the clear recognition that there was traiterous acts going on).

25 July 1974

No, the war did not end with the ceasefire. Wherever they were seeing feeble front or empty space, they were advancing. If a patrol presented resistance fire, they were stopping for hours, until they were sure about the size of the opposing force. We were put in the defense line ELDYK-Nicosia airport. Faces black from napalm, torn uniforms, boots ready to fall apart, we are not hungry, we are not thirsty, we can't sleep. All of us were angry ,because while we should have thrown them into the sea, some pinned us down on this defence line. I wonder , is this an open deal where even the soldiers of the mehmetcik KNOW that Greece has agreed not to get involved?. They are there and we know they are waiting for an opportunity to attack us, refreshed, reinforced, with new troops and weapons and supplies. They talk of treaties that Mavros is preparing for Geneva. What kind of treaties?, with the turks on the other side with one finger on the trigger? fairy tales......its either them or us.

26 July 1974

Turkish units occupy the villages of ST. Ermolaos and Sisklipos and the pass of St. Pavlos. St. Ermolaos was defended by the 301 TP with commander K. Achilledes. The battalion had to retreat and regrouped further west of their previous positions, technically still located in Ermolaos.

In Greece, the decree 501 grants amnesty and political prisoners are released.




The 32 MK on Kameno hill takes artillery fire, but keeps position. Light clashes at St. Ermolaos with the 301 TP. Patience.

28 July 1974

Ecevit calls Karamanlis for talks and he justly refuses due to the complete disregard by the turks of the ceasefire. The 301 TP absorbs a major turkish attack and abandoned Ermolaos completely. The previous turkish attempt to dislodge 301 TP some days earlier wasn't fully successful , this time it is. 301 TP retreat covered by 286 MTP, that repells a turkish attack against itself before noon.

The general staff of the GCNG reports to the supreme command of Greece the bad situation that exists, hoping finally for Greece to get involved with the new government that had just taken over a few days before.

29 July 1974

The general staff of the GCNG reports to the supreme command in Greece: "morale lowering. If the settling of the situation is delayed, the soldiers and the civilians will turn against the officers and Greece generally".

During the Geneva negotiations, the minister of foreign affairs George Mavros gives order of release of a Turk Major and 14 other turkish officers, unilaterally. The Major, while prisoner, reported that he had come to Cyprus with civilian clothes along with 300 other officers since July 5th 1974 ( obviously before the coup happened), to prepare the ground for the invasion. The invasion was planned a long time before the coup against Makarios and was the pretext and opportunity for turkey. But the biggest opportunity was the division of the Greek forces, which were fighting eachother at the time......

30 July 1974

The Geneva talks interrupts it's sessions to restart them on August 8th. It is decided from the 3 ministers of foreign affairs ( Greece, Turkey , Britain) the creation of a safety zone at the limit of the occupied area, the exahange of prisoners and the evacuation of the enclaves that the GCNG has taken. But most important is that the areas conrolled by the 2 parts will not be expanded. At the very same day, Turkey with the 28th division decided with the expansion to Lapithos and Karavas.

The new Greek Government appoints new commander of the GCNG ( the previous one was junta appointed) vice general E. Karagiannis, a military man experienced on Cyprus and decisive. The brits disturb his transport to Cyprus.

31 July 1974

The civilians of Lapithos and Karavas, that after the invasion had fled to Morphou, return to their homes with buses. The Turks as long as they saw them, started firing with artillery against them. The GCNG did not reply to the provocation. From the following days in Geneva, the limits of the occupied areas were agreed upon ( which is roughly the current status quo today, with the exception of Louroujina corridor). The drama of Lapithos-Karavas was about to begin, again showing that the turk never respects any treaty.



The plans of the 28th turkish division, despite the ceasefire, is to occupy the western heights of Pentadaktilos so to hit easily Lapithos and Karavas.

1st August 1974

The 28th turkish division expells the 316 Battalion of the GCNG from the west part of pentadaktilos and hill 1024 (Kiparissovouno), over Lapitho-Karava, according to their plans of expansion west of Kyrenia and despite the ceasfire. But during the night, the 2nd Company of the 31 wing of B Raiders with surprise attack, retakes it.

2 August 1974

The 2nd Company of Raiders gets attacked by Turkish commandos in the morning but they repell the attack. More attempts by the turkish commandos follow but without success. In the afternoon the 28th Turkish division attacks and with heavy pressure expells the 2nd company from hill 1024.

The Turks are moving below hill 1024 with M-47 tanks and M-113 armored vehicles. They are moving against Kornos hill, defended by the 316 TE (battalion of GCNG). The 316 hits with PAO ( recoiless rifles) the lead tank and an M113 that goes up in flames. In the panic they are abandoned from the turkish crews. Also another m-47 and 2 M113 are abandoned , which were later commandeered by the GCNG itself. The turks returned soon after to hill 1024, thinking that the 316 TE had complete anti-tank support!...imagine if it really had...

Trilateral committe of officers (Greece, britain and Turkey) cannot sign new ceasefire limit zones on the map because turks had not taken yet the areas predicted ( agreed upon at Geneva) in their initial plan. In Athens , Ioannides is put out of active service.

3rd August 1974 My company (1st ELDYK) takes order to move to Karavas to reinforce the unit there. We were together there with the 316 and 265 battalions of the GCNG, a company of reserves and the 321 Battalion of the GCNG opposing the turkish 28th division, her tanks and a Brigade of para-commandos trying to prepare the defence of Lapithos, lay minefields or something else. We couldn't even cover the width of the extension of the division since we were so few, but we would wait for them. We had lost hill 1024 of Lapithos exposed mainly to the valley. To the 1024 was their brigade, to our side and higher. We should in 3 companies ( 2 and the one reserve) to hold her, ignoring the line of front of the tanks that the 256 and 321 were waiting for!

4th August 1974
In North Greece , Evros a unit of M48 tanks got order ( no one knows by whome) to attack Turkey at dawn of the next day, passing the Evros river and taking a height east of it, with suport of 30 SP ( arty battalion). While the attack was planned, it was then almost immediately canceled by a new order. Isolated from the XII division, the 30 SP at North Evros and it
s commander was loyal to Ioannides...

The new government didn't control the army yet and could not impose herself for fear of another coup.




(Aug 5th continued)
The commander of the turkish airforce Alp Kagia states that the airforce saved the invasion and that without her , the casualties would have been much worse. The same day there is exchange of fire between the turkish cypriot enclave at Ammochostos and the GCNG that was beseiging it. The turkish cypriots were trying to accelorate the arrival of the turkish divisions in Ammochostos with Atilla II.

6th August 1974

We were deployed from Vavila to Karavas , low ground easily controlled from Pentadaktilos ( hill 1024) and with the inclinations towards the sea that was leaving us uncovered from artillery fire from their navy. The defence was in a desperate situation, but there should be a defense......

The attack of the turkish 28th division started at 05:45 with rapid heavy fire from artillery and mortars. Their destroyers were firing at our rear lines, away from the front line where they were in engagement with the 256 battalion. Together with the support fire, tanks and marines they moved west against Karavas in dense formations, while above us, from the sides of Pentadaktilos moved their commando brigade, together with infantry regiment #61. A huge area from Karavas and Lapithos till Vasilia and Vavila was massively bombed from the airforce and from artillery. We were waiting to engage their brigade which descending in dense formation from Pentadaktilos. Outside Lapithos, at Kefalovriso, we attacked her helped by mortar fire and inflicted many casualties on her. The mehmetcik regrouped and attacked many times,but we were repelling them until noon, despite their artillery fire bombarding us continuously. At noon we received order to regroup to the line Vavila-Vasilia towards which all our forces were now moving inside this hell. At the withdrawal of 256 battalion, turkish forces landed right behind and were closing in, decimating those who escaped from the turkish support fire. It was a slaughter for us there but we had made great damage to their division. We moved towards the Vasilia pass inside a hell of fire where you could no longer see any forces or enemy positions. We fell cut off near the Vasilia pass in a trench and took up defensive positions.

In a while , their first infantry units were falling in front of us, not only from us but from their own artillery that was firing everywhere since the front was misty and vague. Behind us a rain of artillery fire and possible ambushes, in front of us the 28th division, to the south, their brigade and the flames on Pentadaktilos were rising by the hour. To our north and side the sea and their destroyers. We were completely cut long could we last?. "Today is our last day" I hear someone saying. "Don't be afraid, they'll make us heroes in our villages I shouted back, without realizing much of what I was saying and certain that we would be killed by nightfall.

A row of 7-8 machine guns we had and we held them all afternoon with those in the small pass, till it got dark. At Karavas now you can only hear sporadic fire. Our company there had been wiped out.

During the night one of us said his idea openly in the dark. To go to the sea and by swimming, bypass their lines and ambushes. So it was done. When we got back to the shore, somewhere in Vavila we encountered some of ours that had passed through that hell. There at Vasilia-Vavila we gathered remaining forces and regrouped.

7 August 1974
They hit us with support fire. They didn't attack with infantry today. Hence their division had suffered great damage too.

8th August 1974

The Turkish airforce bombs the positions of GCNG near turkish cypriot envlaves.





 Nixon in US resigns and Ford takes over.The Geneva Convention fails,as Turkey sees herself as winner
14 August 1974-Attila II
At dawn 05:00 started again her action the turkish airforce,preparing the triple attack of Attila II towards Morfu,Ammohostos and Nicosia-ELDYK line.
Eastern front:
The main defence force was northeastern of Nicosia at Mia Milia.When this line was broken,the turkish tanks advanced in the valley of Messaoria towards Ammohostos,while the GCNG forces regrouped to the line Nicosia-Larnaka,while others were retreating to the east,towards Ammohostos.many Guardsmen were trapped or imprisoned or killed.There were accuses of cases that reported that turkish tanks spotted them while they were trying to flee wounded and the tanks passing over them,killing them.The Turkish advance was stopped by the regrouped 256 battalion at the line Timvu-Lefkoniku-Palekithru.The forces of Pendadaktilos,mainly the 32 MK (raiders) starting moving alonf its crestline to the east for the final defence of Ammohostos.

Western front:
Opened in the afternoon with advance of the Turks towards Morfu.The Aspros height was occupied by the Turks without any attempt of retakinf it from the GCNG and the advance stopped there.
Central front.
The battle of ELDYK camp

The morning of 14 found us in defence line in the ELDYK camp in deployment positions we had prepared.To the defence of the camp were those remained from Karava (from the heroic 1st Company that no longer existed),we were merged with remnants of the 6th Company of 2nd TP (infantry Battalion),under Major Stergiopoulos.The rest were the 2nd Company with Lt. Kostantula,the 4th with Cypriot Lt. Ioannides,the command Company of ELDYK with Major Deli,a platoon of Engineers ans some other small platoons of Cypriot reserves under Lt Cournal Stavropoulos.
We were on the left side of the defence of the camp.Since the morning they started hitting us with airforce.At 10:00 there was the first infantly attack that we repelled.They were coming like a flock,uncovered with the left hand hiding the eyes most of them.We were letting them come close and upon the order of the Lt. for fire we were firing and repelling them easily.Of course we had a few artillery support fire that with some adjustments left-right were slaughtering their dense formations,together with the mortars.In a while they came 2-3 trucks with an APC vehicle for escort and were closing the battle field forming semi-circle.We were ready to fire,but the Lt's order was clear:"Don't open fire.let them collect their dead".So was done.
At 11:00 there was 2nd attempt of infantry and tanks but repelled again.The same luck had their attack of 15:00.In all this period their airforce was bombarding us from time to time.The defence of the camp from ELDYK was proving to be the most efficient of our forces,because with Sagger (my comment: Russian anti-tank missiles that Makarios had started receiving) and PAO their tanks didn't dare to charge.You were hitting one,all the rest were retreating.Their infantry was more easy job.It got night but we knew that at the morning more would come.We would wait for them with our morale high from the victory.We weren't "national guard" and our open differences from karava-Vasilia were making us forget hunger and tiredness.Our eyes like if they were wide open and fierce like the devil's.



( sorry , but like I said the page before this is missing but I remember that it left off somewhere in the ELDYK camp, furtheremore, there was another page after this one and it is gone too, still looking for it though)

.......victory. We weren't national guard and our open differences from Karava-Vasilia were making us forget hunger and tiredness. Our eyes , wide open and fierce like the devil's.

15 August 1974
eastern front

The turkish airforce bombed Ammochostos to give relief to the sieged turkish cypriots that had retreated to the castle. Withe the bombardments, the 201 battalion of the GCNG started taking positions more distant from the castle.

After 14:00 when the turkish tanks were approaching the city with caution, the 341 battalion and the 1st ADT with no mutual coordination abbandoned Ammohostos towards Larnaka, leaving the city of Ammohostos (the turkish cypriot sector) to the turks at 17:30. The same day the 6th battalion abandoned Trulloi north of Larnaca , but was manned voluntarily by Major Dionisiadis and 20 volunteers, so to keep contact with the enemy and by changing positions and fire patterns, gave the impression of a much larger force that was covering the Louroujina corridor (which leads straight to Larnaka). His example, unfortunately, wasn't followed by the units defending Ammohostos, despite the well known reluctancy in the movements of the turks and despite the order to stall the enemy. The lack of tanks and anti tank missiles of the National Guard permitted the tank units of the enemy go for a walk. And even then, slowly and carefully, still reluctant.

Western Front
The turks advanced 2-6 KM a tank unit towards Morphou, after being hit from close distance in ambush with PAO from to RECON armoured vehicles from the GCNG outside Vasilia, losing 2 M-47 tanks. In the attempt to trap them, an M113 escaped to Morphou. Beyond this point, the ground of the turkish tanks of the 28th division was falt and easy for the next day.


Since the morning they started again with artillery and airforce fire continously. They didnt dare any attack with their tanks or infantry on the 15th. Yesterday's defeat made them lose their courage. Our commander asked anti-tank support and more arty support fire, but instead they sent us 3 APC's. Do what with them?, at night he sent them back. Let it be so...our morale is now very high since yesterday. Support fire and napalm we were used to by now. We wanted their brigades to try and attack us BADLY so we could wash away the blood of ours killed in Karava. For now they are avoiding us.

16 August 1974

The units of the turkish 28th division started very slowly advancing in Morphous' valley, although they wreen't encountering resistance. At 09:00 they took Morphou which of course was unprotected by now. At 12:00 they arrived at Kormakitis, Lefka and Filia. The reserve company of 281 battalion that stayed in the area and despite resistance, was circled, half of its men were killed and the rest captured. At 18:00 when the new ceasefire started, the stopped their advance, to continue later till Troodos, where they were met by GCNG units which had been waiting for them. This was the furthest advancement of the war near Troodos. No operations were continued there for obvious reasons of difficult terrain, where their tanks and airforce would have little effect.

We have been already holding for 2 days here after the hell of Lapithos-Karavas, which made us lose our fear or not care. Battle positions full of craters from 1000 lb. bombs and everything was destroyed or burnt, like the trees of the camp. At 08:30 their airforce started bombing us again and at the same time started moving towards the camp and St Pavlos in 2 formations. A tank unit with an infantry regiment were following, supported by arty fire which was coming from Kioneli against us and a similar force from Gerolakos......

17 August 1974

Despite that since last afternoon after the fall of the ELDYK camp was agreed again ceasefire we repelled again today attacks they made in St. Pavlos,together with Cypriot volunteers from Ammohostos that fought heroically on our side.These were the last clashes.




Hellenic Army Rules